Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Bagels this morning



Last night, on a whim, like I didn't have a million other things to do, I decided to make bagels.  I had made them several times over the years, was never particularly satisfied with the results, yet never worked on perfecting them.  But I had lox, cream cheese and no bagels.  So I decided to give them a try using Peter Reinhart's method from The Breadmaker's Apprentice.  (Peter was my "Breads" instructor at the California Culinary Academy.)

Bottom line:   the bagels were wonderful; chewy, flavorful and surprisingly easy to make.  I mixed and kneaded the stiff dough in the breadmaker.  After giving the dough a brief rest, rather than using the traditional rope method,  I formed bagel shapes using an easy method of making rounds, punching a hole in the center, and stretching,  After resting at warm temperature for 20 minutes, they were "retarded" in the refrigerator overnight.   This morning, they had a 2 minute dip in boiling water and were baked 10 minutes.    I had fresh, warm bagels this morning in less than an hour after I woke up.   I would never have gotten dressed and over to the bagel shop that early.  

1 comment:

  1. I tried to send a comment the other day when I read this but apparently I hadn't set up the right profile. What i said was "Fresh bagels would make a great Hanakuh present!" but as I said then, I am just kidding. You make "making bagels" sound so easy I am tempted to try it myself, particularly since there is nowhere to buy good bagels around here. I do wonder if Western Bagel is still open in Tustin. I'll have to check on that. Anyway, the bagels look beautiful and delicious. I knew we should have stayed with you a few more days. Darn.

    ReplyDelete