Thursday, September 3, 2009

"Julie & Julia"

Saw Julie & Julia last week and really enjoyed it, partly for the the nostalgia value.   I literally learned to cook from Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, volumes I and II, and remember making many of the recipes "Julie" prepared in the movie.  Some, such as the Boeuf Bourguignon and Coq au Vin have become staples in my repertoire .  The Lobster Thermidor from the recipe in first volume is fantastic and remains one of my all time favorite eating experiences.  And I even learned how to bone a duck from Julia Child, though I made a galantine rather than the pastry-covered duck shown in the movie.   My favorite duck recipe of all time is from a later Julia Child book, The Way to Cook."  Her Designer Duck features duck that is briefly roasted, then carved and cooked three ways:  the rare breast sliced and warmed in Port, the legs and thighs coated in mustardy crumbs and roasted, and the skin turned into cracklings.  Time consuming, but definitely worth it.

Can you tell how "beloved" (aka, tattered and dirty) my volumes are from the photo above?

No comments:

Post a Comment